Thursday, April 15, 2010

Road to Recovery

For those who don't know I suffer from clinical depression. In my brain I don't have enough serotonin for messages to be passed between the synapses of the brain correctly. In the past I have taken medication to help correct this problem, but one of the down falls of depression is that when you feel good you sometimes don't take your medication. This is what happened to me, I stopped taking my medication 3 to 4 months ago and over time as the medicine became less and less in my system I became more and more depressed.

On Easter Sunday my car broke down as well as my moped on the same day. This was the straw that broke the camels back so to speak. I began to feel hopeless and even more deeply depressed to the point that I began to think about suicide and planning to commit suicide. I wasn't sleeping, couldn't get to work because of the car, and was pretty much ready to give up on life.

On Thursday April 8th, I admitted myself to a hospital for treatment of my major depression, anxiety, and suicidal thoughts. I am now back on my medication, as well as getting other treatment that will of course never "cure" me since clinical depression has no cure but will allow me to live life again. I came home from the hospital on Wednesday April 14th.


The doctor is allowing me to return to work on Monday April 19th, and I'm looking forward to getting back to the job I love so much.

Thank you to everyone who has sent good wishes, prayers, and thoughts they have helped more then you know.

Most of all thank you to my wife Karen for without her I never would have gotten the help I need. Also thank you to Michelle, Belanne, Jamie, and my father in law Jerry. You all mean the world to me and have helped lift my spirits through this difficult time.

I hope to start working on my photography again as part of my therapy, so look for new photos soon!!
Rob

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm looking forward to the new photos.
    I know it was a big step to share this too. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Back Rob! Looking forward to seeing your work some more.

    ReplyDelete