Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Break out the Torches and Pitchforks!!!

Pet ferret eats seven fingers of baby boy - CNN.com

Well here we go again, another story in the news about a pet going bad and attacking someone.  I'm just waiting for the outcry to begin about how dangerous ferrets are.  You can almost here the gathering "anti-ferret" lobby forming! Soon will come the, "we must ban these dangerous animals before they strike again and kill us all!!"

Breath, breath.......Ok

I have had ferrets as pets for over 10 years, I have operated a ferret rescue shelter for the past 6 years.  I know ferrets.  I know how ferrets behave, and I know that ferrets like any other animal are not evil.  Ferrets can be some of the most loving pets, and have brought a great deal of joy into my life.  Still ferrets are animals and as such you have to take precautions when it comes to small children and babies.

I feel terrible for this child, I really do, but the blame for this horrible tragedy rests solely on the parents here.  A ferret or any animal for that matter needs to be cared for in such a way that you protect both the child as well as the ferret.  Their seems to be a great deal to this story that is missing, that really needs to be asked.

  1. Was the ferret caged, or allowed to roam the house?
  2. How well was the ferret cared for? Food? Water? Vet care?
  3. Where were the parent's sleeping in relation to the baby?
  4. Was the ferret well socialized or completely ignored?
Bottom like here, in my opinion, is these people shouldn't have had animals let alone children.  I can only hope that this little baby gets the care he needs, and that the ferret's reputation isn't too badly tarnished by what is clearly not an animal issue but an irresponsible parents issue.

Ferrets really are wonderful pets FOR THE RIGHT PEOPLE.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this nice post I see many site to collect the information but no one provide as you provide the information I hope you provide the more information about this. I am waiting your reply bengali songs

    ReplyDelete